Crystals have been used for healing since ancient times by many different cultures It is an holistic therapy, which means that the focus is on the individual as a whole, rather than on physical symptoms alone. The aim of this therapy is to restore wholeness, balance and health on levels of emotions, mind, spirit as well as the physical body. This is why crystal healing is considered complementary to allopathic medicine and not an alternative. Crystal Healing often involves some form of change in a client's overall way of being. It may be through a relief of stress and tensions, through revitalisation, relaxation or establishing a greater amount of peace and harmony. Crystal Healing is also helpful in complementing most forms of allopathic medical practice. Apart from promoting 'wellness' and helping to prevent physical illness, it can be of use in the following circumstances:
- Both acute and chronic conditions
- Stress related conditions
- States of anxiety
- Pre-operative care
- Post-operative healing
- Care of the terminally ill
- Activate and support the natural self-healing processes within the individual client
- Support the recovery of existing symptoms.
* Healing vs Cure
- Heal (From Old English hǣlan, of Germanic origin, 'to make whole.') The facilitator (therapist) assists the healer (client) to reach a state of wholeness. Healing takes the aproach of wholeness, restoring the balance and harmony to the body, mind and spirit. It can be achieved without a cure. Healing requires that the healer (client) be empowered and take responsibility for Self.
- Cure (from Latin curare ‘take care of.’ In Late Middle English, ‘medical care,’ ‘successful medical treatment’ and ‘remedy.’) The healer (doctor or therapist) focuses on compensation and removal of the symptoms the patient may be experiencing. Patients are not treated as individuals, rather they are treated and categorised according to symptom. The healer takes the responsibility of ridding the patient of the symptoms and do not empower or require the the patient to take responsibility.
How does Crystal Healing work?
Crystal Healers are not permitted or trained to diagnose physical ailments. They do however assess the condition of the bio-magnetic field, of a client before choosing appropriate crystals to help bring it back into balance and harmony. Since the state of the bio-magnetic field relates to and influences the state of the physical body, this process will help activate, support and often accelerate the natural self-healing processes. It may be of interest to note that this field, also known as the electromagnetic field or aura, has been discussed and contemplated within the realm of healing and philosophy for thousands of years. It is only fairly recently that science has proven that it must exist around every physical body and organism, thereby helping, amongst other, to validate crystal healing.
Stones, minerals and crystals also possess this kind of electro magnetic field or aura. Their radiation results from the transformation of absorbed light, laying mainly in the infrared region and only to a very small degree in the visible and microwave regions of the spectrum. But despite their lesser quantity, the latter are of great importance. Infrared radiation is absorbed by the outermost layers of skin into the body, which is why we feel heat. Microwaves, however, penetrate the entire organism so, in principle, reach all tissues and organ.
The fact that we cannot normally perceive this visible portion of radiation of precious gems and minerals with the naked eye is simply due to the low intensity of this radiation. Radiation from our bodies, for example, is comparable to the glimmer of light from a candle about 20km away. During daytime it cannot, of course, be seen. However, in total darkness, we would gradually become aware of this light. This radiation is a real effect; the difficulties experienced in science with measuring this subtle radiation has little to do with the radiation itself but more with the limitations of the measuring equipment available.
Stones emit radiation and, being extremely durable and permanent, they emit the same information in a very constant way. They could be compared to radio transmitters that constantly broadcast the same programme. Every stone or crystal has its own specific light, or put another way, its specific radiation that naturally influences our organisms. If contact is made between a crystal and our bodies, the absorbed light will inevitably have an influence on the 'light communication' between the cells and cause certain reactions.
An effect therefore definitely exists. Whether this influence becomes a healing influence will depend upon two factors: (1) what we require at the moment, and (2) what the stone, or rather the information radiated by the stone, can offer us. This means that healing with crystals, just like homeopathy, Bach flower remedies or aromatherapy, belongs with the information therapies. It is not the chemical substance that is effective, but the information emitted.